Bangkok

Everyone should come with something sorted out when arriving to a city where you don't speak the language and you are clueless on where to go. The Lonely Planet is a good companion but sometimes not enough.
I thought Bangkok would be swimming with travellers. But no...I could see no backpackers on my airplane. So, where to kill my overnight stay? My plan had been to follow a group somewhere.
This was clearly not a good idea. But well, a girl's gotta learn. And my backpack was heavy and uncomfortable.
So first I found a spanish couple who had obviously booked a room in a hotel ( they were staying longer) and went to the city on the train with them.
Then I followed lonely planet's instruction to a hostel in a place close to the airport. Could not find the one the Lonely recommended but found another hostel which provided with info. " Do not stay here. Go back to the airport. Taxis will cost a fortune at 5 am and it's not worth it. Plus you will risk loosing the flight". Magic words: I will never risk loosing a flight ever again. Not after the whole Brussels trip debacle a few months back.
The boy/man at the reception was kind enough to lend me the toilet and a changing room (the same toilet). He offered me a shower, but at that point I couldn't care less about it, as I'd already decided I would become a smelly backpacker who would use the same pants and top.
It finally dawned on me, that I would not ever use my trendy new M&S 80's jeans, neither the new top shop sweater, and would have to get rid of my handbags and throw half my t-shirts. What the hell had I been thinking?
So, after some serious thinking ( one only begins to do that past the first hour of arriving to the first travelling destination) I rediscovered my backpacking senses, left behind on my last 2009 trip to Bolivia.
I would return to the airport.
And it was destiny not trying to ruin my trip that did it, cause if I hadn't made that decision I would have lost my flight.
I am at the airport now. Found the whole sleeping at airport community, and though it was hard to source comfortable three sits to spread myself around, I finally found a premium area, guarded by chinese travellers.
Luckily I brought my eye mask. That is something one should never forget! ;)









No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario