Travelling alone around England

I need to get out of London. That’s all I could think of. Escape to the unknown. And as I love to challenge myself, I decide I need to go on my own, as I haven’t done it for a while. But I’m a bit scared this time. Scared of launching into an adventure which could turn potentially wrong because a) I could feel lonely, b) I could be far away feeling hopeless and alone, c)I wouldn't be with anyone, just myself. I would be....yes, ehem, lonely. Scary.

Ok. I'm not going through the greatest period in life, even though i can't say it's completely bad (a lot of good things are happening to me) I'm feeling a bit low, disconnected. Probably because I just broke up with my boyfriend, and even though i was the one that made the decision, I'm feeling empty. Bored of myself. Bottom line is I miss his presence which has nothing to do with me regretting the decision. I don't. I know it's for the best.


But I'm so indecisive, that choosing where to go, with myself, it's f***cking hard. I can't make up my mind, because I think too much about the consequences of all my actions, and all the possible outcomes. 


My options were:

- Silence Meditation Retreat: I had found a healing centre in Somerset which offered one, but it scared me shitless to be locked away with no devices (iPhones and laptops were banned) for over four days, and in silence.
- Yoga retreat: most of them were either booked or very expensive. I would be spending around £600, a scary number,  and thought I'd better save for a Vietnam or Thailand retreat.
- Beach: To a B&B where i could write, read, walk in the beach and surf if I wanted to. Why not?

I didn't want to go extremely far away, and I’d done Brighton, so needed something different. And North Devon sounded like a good option. 


So I picked Croyde, one of the best surf beaches in England apparently. Researched for 24 hours and finally decided. Well, sort of. It was actually when I was on the train heading to Exeter that I finally decided I would go to Croyde and not to the Somerset retreat.

Took me a 3 hour train ride from Paddington to Reading, Exeter Central to get to Barnstaple. Amazing scenery all the way. So amazing I wanted to get off and walk. But I didn't, of course. And when I got to Barnstaple, I go to the bus stop carrying my heavy weight bag for a good 15 minute walk, from the train station to the bus station, and stood there for a few minutes. And nothing happened. No bus came to the bus stop. Till a bus with sign to Ilfracombe pulls over. Luckily I thought to ask.

"No buses to Croyde today. It's Good Friday Ma’am, a bank holiday. Plus, the Sunday bus is not working till May . The council won't pay us"

"But the website said you were working...the website said I could take the 308…but... it’s Easter."

My world crumbled apart. What was I going to do? Useless English establishment. Just when people need them most, they decide to cut off transportation, close shops during the weekend, close the bar at 11 pm ( don’t get me started…) Shit. I was stuck in Barnstaple, no accommodation, no bus to get me to a decent place. Alone!!!! I don't need to go into lengths to describe how I felt. Staying in Barnstaple was not a tempting prospect. Even though it wasn't completely an awful place (As my granny would say, “Ugly, it's not"), the average age was seventy, plus it still wasn't the sort of place I would have chosen for my wonderful, ocean sightseeing, countryside, retreat.


I stayed that night, and decided what to do next. 4 days left. My trip became a sort of ‘Choose your own adventure” trip, suddenly. I would now spent half my days looking for accommodation and an alternative plan to Croyde, and the other half listening to my inner being, trying not to think but to feel the miracle of being alive and being free. And I did. But it wasn't all that bad. 

Actually. It was good. :)


The outcome: 
- Cycled the Tarka Trail up to Instow beach (Rating: 7.5), 
- Bus ride to Tiverton through the beautiful countryside (Rating: 7), 
- One night in horrible B&B in the middle of nowhere (Lodgehill Hotel) close to Tiverton (Rating 5.8), 
- Taxi to Train station (£16 so it’s a 2.2 in rating), 
- Train and Bus to Dunster (mmmmh.....was fed of travelling by then so it’s a 4), 
- Arriving to Dunster (Rating 9.8). Paradise.

Place - Dunster Medieval Village - Exmoor National Park
Dunster is by far the most amazing village I’ve ever been too. And I’ve been to several in the Cotswolds, and in Dorset. This medieval village is in the outskirts of Exmoor National Park, surrounded by an amazing countryside, orchard gardens, cobble stone streets, and it even has its own castle! (I love castles!). 
Just walk around the village. Get to the castle, and keep on walking to the right, past the castle, and you’ll get to another street of the village, where there are more pubs, and you can get to the entrance of the Mill, and the Mill’s tea room with a breathtaking view from there.

Climb to the castle, as the top view is amazing. I managed not to pay an entry ticket as I was late (it closes at 5 pm) and freely walked around the gardens, but if not, it’s part of the National Trust, and you’ll have to pay an entry ticket of £12.50. 


North Devon villages and Exmoor National Park: Take a train to Barnstaple and visit the villages of Clovelly, Croyde, Lynton and Lynmouth. If you are by car, you come out of London towards Bristol and then head towards Dunster, then Lynton, Ilfracombe, Croyde and Georgeham, and end in Clovelly. Be prepared to spend a bit more money if you are travelling with public transport as you might get stuck and depend on taxis. Allow up to £15 pounds for this.

So here are a few tips to those who want to venture into travelling solo in the UK:

1- Plan ahead: I should have known, because I've been living in this country for almost 3 years now. There is not much room for being spontaneous without a car and even then, you need accommodation, so you’ve better check before you head off anywhere. You might not want to get stuck in the middle of the night, without nowhere to sleep (as I once did in Manchester!).

2 - Rent a car and if you can’t, check that the buses are running to wherever you want to go. The most beautiful villages are usually not reached by train. And buses to small villages are less frequent or do not even run on Sundays, and Bank Holidays. So be prepared to spend some money on taxis.

3 - Accommodation: Choose a B&B you think is decent from booking.com, or wherever, and call them, even if you know they are full, as most owners will recommend you another place with availability. Don't waste time internet surfing. 

4 - Once there, ask locals what to do. They know best. 



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario